It’s Been Said: Improvements and technology advances in farming help the environment and produce food sustainably.
Overview: Earth Day is April 22 and the media is flooded with articles about what specific companies and organizations are doing to improve the environment. In some cases, this coverage paints a negative picture of the impact agriculture has on the environment, with little if any balance of information. There are a number of studies that show management practices and advances in technology have greatly lessened the environmental impact of growing and raising food.
Examples of recent Earth Day articles:
Our View: Our farmers and ranchers are stewards of the land. When a person’s livelihood depends on the Earth and our valuable resources, it only makes sense for them to take care of it. Here is some research and links that show the vast ways farmers and ranchers are reducing their environmental footprint.
According to the American Meat Institute, since 1990, U.S. farmers increased meat production by almost 50 percent, milk production by 16 percent, and egg production by nearly 33 percent. According to the National Pork Board, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from U.S. animal agriculture have remained relatively constant while protein production has dramatically increased. This indicates improved feed efficiencies, better waste management strategies and more efficient use of cropland.
- Beef’s Shrinking Environmental Fact Sheet
- Raising Sustainable Beef – A Scientists POV
- Cattlemen’s Stewardship Review Environmental Section
- Cattlemen’s Stewardship Review
- Dairy Carbon Footprint Study
- Pork Industry’s Carbon Footprint Facts
- National Lifecycle Carbon Footprint Study of U.S. Swine
- Pork Cares
- U.S. Poultry – Raising Chickens
Farmers look to new management practices like no-till to reduce fuel and minimize erosion and the release of climate-changing carbon into the atmosphere. Farmers have also looked to advancements in the seed industry to improve the environment. Breeding for drought tolerant crops greatly reduces water usage.
- Annual Update Report of Global Biotech Crop Impacts from GE Economics
- Conserving More from Monsanto
- Facts About Farmers
- U.S. Rice Federation Impact Report
- U.S. Rice Federation Environmental Indicators Report
Farmers and ranchers - what's your story this Earth Day? What are some continous improvements you've made on your farms and ranches? Share your story on our Facebook page or e-mail them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org